Duathlon Training

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Some Days are Better than Others

Today was just one of those days when I really wished I'd just stayed in bed and everything was just too darn hard! Firstly an update on the back situation, after a terrible day with it all day yesterday (it was particularly bad when I was walking around as I felt like I couldn't stand up straight) I went home and stretched it out over the swiss ball before doing some weights - I decided to see what I could do that didn't hurt. Most of the weights were ok although I had to abandon some of the leg exercises. Anyway afterwards by back actually felt a lot better than it had all day and I managed a good nights sleep without having to take any anti-inflams or painkillers. This morning it felt ok, not perfect but not too bad, so I decided to have a run on the treadmill at the gym. My favourite machine (the one by the window which has the best spring in it's base and runs a bit slower than most of the others) was occupied so I had to run on a different one. It started off ok and I ran at my usual pace for about 3km but then it was all downhill after that. My back started to really hurt, it felt too hard and my mind was just telling me to give up - one of those bad mornings when it's just a struggle to keep going. I managed 5 and a half km in the end which was less than I wanted to do so I was pretty grumpy when I stopped and by back was really hurting again - hmmph.
Now and hour and a half later, sitting at my desk and having had my breakfast I'm a little more philosophical about it all - if running 5 and a half km is having a bad day then that's not really a bad thing - as the mighty P pointed out if I'd done 6km I would have felt ok about it, and there's not a big difference between 5 and a half and 6km, it's not like I wanted to run a km and only did half! So I will stop beating myself up about it and feel proud of the fact that I got up and did something even though I didn't feel like it.
My back has eased off again too so was probably just complaining about the run! I am rubbish at resting injuries so hopefully this is just something minor that will go away quickly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home